The best part about no longer being in college (besides no longer being a broke college student) is being able to learn what YOU want to learn! This has given us the opportunity to listen to a ton of TED talks, documentaries, and read plenty of books. We have been trying to learn as much as we can about this incredible world. We have dabbled in politics, finance, and nutrition.
One thing we have recently learned more about are the benefits of plant based diets. Since both of us are scientists at heart, it was hard to ignore the research. We figured we would take all the information we have learned and try to incorporate it into our every day lives and diet. (If your looking for great educational resources on nutrition check out: TED Talk: Chew on this & Vegucated)
My rant on nutrition
With a degree in Nursing and many nutrition classes under my belt, I think I’m fairly educated on what a balanced diet should look like. I believe that balance and moderation is the key to everything in life: food, alcohol, indulgences, work, finance, ext. I don’t know if I believe it’s 100% necessary to eliminate meat quite yet. There are a lot of nutrients in meat (such as B12, Iron, B6) that are also available in vegetables, but easier to obtain from meat. That doesn’t mean that you can not obtain them from vegetables, it just means you have to be educated and plan out your meals more precisely.
I would be fooling myself if I thought for a minute I could convince my carnivorous boyfriend to give up meat completely, especially cold turkey. I am so thankful for how awesome and supportive he is of me and all of my ideas. We are continually striving to improve our nutrition and our quality of life. The information we learned has made us aware of how what we eat impacts our environment, animals, and ourselves.
Although we are not ready to swear off meat just yet, I have come up with another idea. Many nutritionists say that you don’t have to eat perfect 100% of the time, if you eat healthy even 80% of the time, the other 20% has little impact on your overall health. So I figured we could apply this theory to eating a plant based diet. If we eat a vegetarian diet 80% of the time, that gives us the flexibility to still enjoy foods we love such as certain seafood & meat. That means out of 7 dinners a week, 5 of them should be vegetarian. Out of 21 meals a week (3 meals a day x 7 days a week), 16 of them should be vegetarian. I figured this way we would cut back our consumer demand for animal products, increase of fruit and vegetable consumption, decrease our cholesterol intake, and improve our health.
I was feeling pretty good about myself and this BRILLIANT idea I came up with. While watching Netflix TED Talks, I came across this talk:
I love this TED talk! Even though I wasn’t the first one to come up with this idea, I’m super excited to incorporate it into our diet and share it with everyone. The only constant in life is change. My approach is to embrace change, and strive to incorporate change into our live to make them better.
I’m also excited for the challenge of learning how to cook new vegetarian meals!
EXTRA RANT: I believe everyone’s diet should be specifically tailored to that individual, and what works for one may not work for the other. I also believe that you can lead a happy healthy life by being a vegetarian, vegan, or meat eater. Actually, I think labels for the way we eat is silly. As long as we eat a healthy nutritious diet that provides the appropriate amount of macro and micro nutrients to our bodies, who cares what we label it! Eat whatever you enjoy (in a healthy moderation), and don’t shame anyone because they don’t share your same “label”.
A few of this past weeks favorite vegetarian meals:
Quinoa breakfast bowl with poached egg & avocado
Beetroot, walnut, and goat cheese spinach salad
My (almost vegan) light and fluffy pancakes
I love to bake! I have a hard time substituting out eggs because I love the texture that they give my baked goods. For those who follow a strict vegan diet, try substituting the egg for 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce or 1/4 cup of mashed banana.
Thanks for reading!